Thursday, November 10, 2011

Oh Baby! Parshat Vayera

Baby Bellini

Babies seem to be on the brain in this week's Torah portion and also in the lives of some people who I am close to. I'll start with the Torah, while you fabulous readers try to figure out whose babies I am referring to.

In this week's parsha, Abraham and Sarah welcome three guests to their tent. They are a fine example of what hosting guests are all about: they give food, drink, and are attended to with care, even though it was a very hot day and Abraham was in a great amount of pain at the time. The guests later reveal that they are in fact angels and God's messengers. One of these messengers tells them that Sarah will have a baby!

I have always liked this story of the first hosted meal, it inspires me to continue to host meals myself, as I hope it does for you!

Mazal Tov to Pnina and Dov Nickerson on the birth of their baby boy Yair Adin! Also, mazal tov to Maggie and Adam Norris on the birth of their baby boy Teddy! So excited for you and hope to meet the babies soon!!

One of my favourite drinks to make for a big meal that I am hosting (especially brunch) are bellinis. In honour of all of the babies' arrival to the world, I will introduce a baby bellini, which is non-alcoholic. Enjoy and here's to more reasons to host celebratory meals!

Recipe for Baby Bellini

-put one tablespoon of berry applesauce inside a champagne glass
-half of the glass full of sparkling peach or blush grape juice
-half of the glass with orange juice


No comments:

Post a Comment