Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Behar/Behukotai/Yom Yerushalayim

From Fields of Gold to the City of Gold

I would like to share this text from myjewishlearning.com at this link:

In 1967 Shemer wrote "Jerusalem of Gold" for the annual song festival. She recalled:

The idea I started with was the Talmudic legend I remembered from my school days about Rabbi Akiva, who lived in poverty, in a hayloft with his beloved wife Rahel, who had been disowned by her father. As he plucked the hay out of her hair, he promised her that one day he would become wealthy and buy her a Jerusalem of Gold [an item of jewelry]. Our teachers, Shoshana and Amminadav, taught us many similar legends. The phrase "Jerusalem of Gold" suddenly shone in my memory as if to say, "Here I am," and I realized it would be the cornerstone of my song.

Jerusalem at NightIt was night by the time I sat down and wrote the song. I began with my fresh, innocent memories of my visits there during summer vacation, and then I continued to "She sits alone" and "captive in her dream," and to the ancient phraseology which had just presented itself to me as if to say, Take me and do with me as you will.

The paratroopers who liberated the city sang the song on the Temple Mount and by the Western Wall. After the war, Shemer added another verse beginning "We have returned to the wells." When she sang the new version for the paratroopers and they applauded her, she told them: "Actually I should be applauding you, since it is much easier to change a song than to change a city."

I found those words to be inspiring: it is much easier to change a song than to change a city. Yes, it is easier to change your words and to tune your kinor (harp/violin-which is referred to in the Jerusalem of Gold song). However, I hope that all of us find songs, poems, books, articles, or other words which inspire us or challenge us to change our behavior. This Yom Yerushalayim, let's celebrate by singing and work towards a better world.

This Shabbat, I am not only thinking about Parshat Behar-Behukotai, where golden (and not so golden) laws are given, and Yom Yerushalayim, which celebrates the city of gold, but also of someone else who loves the colour yellow (and I think gold): my cousin Adina! Mazal Tov on your Bat Mitzvah and I can't wait to celebrate with you!

A golden cocktail:

Golden Punch:

1 shot of limoncello OR lemon-flavoured vodka

1 shot of orange juice

2 drops of grenadine (optional)

1 shot of pineapple juice

1 slice of lemon

-mix all together in a glass (make sure that it's frosted!)

-serve!

1 comment: