Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bamidbar-in the desert...

Bamidbar: In the Desert...

Some of you already know that I do not like the desert (sorry, Josh! I know that you're building a kibbutz in the desert of Israel, but I just am not a fan...at least not yet). It's bare, it's too brown, and it's way too hot. But, because there is so much history in the desert and so much importance in the desert, I am trying to find ways to connect to it.

I just read a fantastic d'var torah by Rabbi Sacks which I am posting a link to here:

http://www.chiefrabbi.org/ReadArtical.aspx?id=537


He mentions an idea that I really like and I think that I've heard before, so I apologize if this is not a new idea for you. The letters in the Hebrew word for desert wilderness "daled, bet, resh", are the same as the Hebrew word for speaking. I was thinking about this and about how The Jewish people really became more "People of the Word" in the midbar/desert, which is exactly what Rabbi Sacks wrote! So, as we transition to a new book called bamidbar and transition to a new holiday, Shavuot where the Jewish people built their connection to the written word of the Torah, I hope that we can all continue to work on our midbar work and dibur (words) work!

Here is a desert cocktail recipe:

1 shot of a melon liquor
1 shot of vodka
-2 shots of orange juice
-1 shot of Sprite or lemon seltzer
-add a slice of either lemon or orange (or both) to the martini glass
-stir and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Rina...and I love the desert...and I have melon liquor and vodka and i am having dinner this friday....so i will be using ur parasha with a twist as an excuse to drink:)

    will be thinking of u....
    much love from bash:)

    ReplyDelete