Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ahrei Mot-Kedoshim

First Fruits

When I was reading through this week's parsha, I came across these verses:

Lev 19:9-10 "when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap all the way to the edges of your field, or gather the gleanings of your harvest. You shall not pick your vineyard bare, or gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and the stranger"

So, not only is it important to make the land grow, but it is also important to share the fruits with those who need it. I love that lesson!

I remember when I was in Israel visiting the Goldstein family's new place and their beautiful garden. They had a number of trees, some of which were already growing fruit! I got especially excited when I saw the pomegranate tree because I love pomegranates....we started asking them about the fruits and when they could start eating them. And, Warren Goldstein reminded us of this rule: "wait until the third year, for I am the Lord your God" from this week's parsha!

I'm not a farmer, I barely see trees! I am a city girl all the way and love it! But, I do try to appreciate the world of nature and everything, especially considering that today is Earth Day. I also think that there is something noble about settling the land, because it's about something greater than you.

So, here is a drink to help to remind us all of the land and how to make it grow stronger and stronger:

White Wine Sangria

-bottle of white wine
-slices of strawberries, blackberries, kiwi, melon, apples, and/or other fruit that is available
-1 cup of orange juice
-pitcher

-put the wine, fruit, and juice in the pitcher and let it sit for a few hours before drinking
-pour and enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment